In my last post I wrote about how important Self Empathy was for me. Now I want to explain my process.
![]() |
| Empathy is the relationship between a tree's roots and leaves. |
Why take on adopting a practice of self empathy? You would need a motivating reason; otherwise this will be another one of those nice techniques we have all tried and forget to use. Well, here are some of the reasons I have integrated self empathy into my life.
First is finding my own power. I, like many, had a
view of the world that power was mostly external. I identified power
with the trapping of a good home, a nice car, a well paying job, a large
bank account and good friends - or whatever external resources I had
access to. What I noticed when I started teaching at the prison is that
all the inmates had their external resources stripped away. I started
exploring internal power with them. They discovered that the
correctional officers could not take away their internal power. Many of
the inmates, when they realized this, got very curious about how to
develop internal power.
The second motivating factor was to change my belief about self responsibility.
I want to be fully responsible for my thoughts, feeling and actions.
When I started living this, two shifts occurred. First, have you ever
noticed yourself or someone else say “You are making me mad”? I realized
that saying “You are making me mad” is one way to give away my power. When
I stopped doing this I stopped projecting blame on others, taking back
the power of my own feelings. Second, all the thoughts that I had that I
did not enjoy, whether they were about me or others, were something for
which I could take responsibility by identifying what was important
behind the thought (see tips below). When I did this, I stopped taking
these thoughts as personally.
If you are still interested, then how do you make this
into a practice? It requires a conscious effort to use the skill when
opportunities arise. Once you have adopted this practice and have used
it for a period of time, it will become organic. In other words, you
will enjoy using self empathy because you will enjoy the results. You
may notice yourself becoming more happy, satisfied and peaceful. I have
been practicing it since 2009 and it is now natural for me to do,
leading me to have more passion, power, clarity of purpose and
self-mattering in my life.
Here are the four steps of self empathy:
Observations –
notice what has happened. This could be an action or something said by
yourself or others. Try to strip down your story of what happened. It
is natural for us to judge everything. Just separate your judgment from
the facts.
Feelings – notice how you
are feeling about it now. You may have many feelings. Noticing them
will help give you access to what is important to you in this moment.
Needs – identify the
underlying meaning for this event. What is truly important to you? See
it as a need vs. a strategy. Strategies are just paths to getting our
needs met. Stay open to the possibility that many strategies and
resources are available to fulfill your needs.
Requests – notice if there
is a request you could make of yourself or others that would satisfy
your needs. This step in where the power is generated. For self
empathy to be effective there needs to be action. If you do not see a
request it is okay. It just means you need more empathy. Repeat the
first three steps until a request emerges.
In closing, think of this as going shopping for a new
coat. You walk in the store. You see one on the rack. You try it on, see
if it fits. Does it have the features you like? Do you look good in it?
Basically you are judging you experience of that coat. Go experience
self empathy.
Source: I want to give credit to “Non-violent
Communication” created by Marshall B. Rosenberg, PhD for the basic self
empathy process.

4 comments:
Keep up the good work on exploring and promoting the importance of empathy.
May I suggest further resources to learn more about empathy and compassion.
The Center for Building a Culture of Empathy
The Culture of Empathy website is the largest internet portal for resources and information about the values of empathy and compassion. It contains articles, conferences, definitions, experts, history, interviews, videos, science and much more about empathy and compassion.
http://CultureOfEmpathy.com
I have read that website. I find it to be a most useful. Thanks for sharing.
Dave Smith
infusingconnection.blogspot.com
My experience over and over and over is that "all is well" with my world when I can remember that all of my problems may have someone else's name on them, but for sure all of my solutions have my name on them!
Proving someone wrong does not necessarily get me what I want, and that's where I want to place my energy today. In mediation, I get to experience the beauty of this. A recent story: http://www.deborahdenson.com/the-raven-and-the-dove/
Deborah, thanks for your words. I found the raven and the dove a powerful metaphor for holding both sides.
Post a Comment