Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Epiphany of Self Empathy

My first blog post, I am a bit nervous about starting this, but here I go anyways.  I expect most of my posts will be about creating connection in the world.  You may be wondering why this is important to me.  Seven years ago I was introduced to Nonviolent Communication (NVC) created by Marshall B. Rosenberg, PhD.  During my first four years of awareness about NVC I held it mostly as a set of communication skills that would help me when getting what I wanted was difficult.  During this four year period I had the opportunity to attend a two day workshop with Marshall in Santa Barbara, California.  I got a glimpse that there was the possibility of more.
 
 
Then in 2009 I became unemployed and I decide to attend an International Intensive Training in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where once again I got to explore this NVC with Marshall for nine days.  I arrived with normal human baggage that one could have.  My heart was filled with dissatisfaction and unworthiness.  My head was full of thoughts that reinforced these feelings.  I wasn’t really present to life.  I was present to how I could show up acceptable.  I was hiding behind this persona.  What was alive in me was how unhappy I was with this way of being.

The invitation of being at this training is, one can live this NVC world 24/7 for nine days in community.  The fundamental piece of NVC is empathy.  We had the opportunity to practice empathy with ourselves or with others.  Given I was looking for personal change I held this as an experiment to see if I could alter myself by practicing self-empathy.  I set at minimum I would twice a day practice self empathy, once in the morning with a cup of coffee and again at night before falling asleep. 



After three days of this practice, plus all the other opportunities during the day, I found on the four day I was happier.  What I noticed is that all that baggage that was there no longer felt like the weight of the world.  I had found clarity about what was important about each issue and decided on action I would take in the future when I returned home.  I had discovered a way to free myself from the burden of my thoughts and feelings that I could not accept.  This was an epiphany for me.  I realized how I could take responsibility for my experience in a new way.

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

Enjoyed you sharing your personal story, Dave. Keep up the blogging!

Roxy said...

Congrats on taking that first step towards "infusing the world with connection."

DeborahDrake said...

Dave,
A fine first blog post. It isn't so scary after all is it? It needn't be. This is a lovely reflection. I've studied NVC in a cursory way for the sake of Recovery Coaching Training AND your post makes me want to take a full-fledged workshop.

Eloquent you are. Empathy is Eloquent.

Your last line is a gentle and powerful!

Blessings.

Deborah
Seattle, WA

DeborahDrake said...

And speaking as the Writing Mentor I am, hear me saying this. Please keep sharing. You are fabulous!

Deborah

http://authenticwritingprovokes.com

Janet Lynn said...

Eye opening and glad you have taken this path. You have created new understanding.

Dave Smith said...

Thanks for the encouragement sis.

Love ya,
Dave